Some links to places on the internet of interest to members and visitors.
Useful Resources for Beginners and Seasoned Modellers
- Background-Building Using Your Computer and the Internet (PDF): Use your computer to create backdrops for realistic scenery.
- Building a Simple Layout (PDF): Track-plans and guidance.
- Model Railroad Engineer: Civil Certificate (PDF): (US) National Model Railroad Association is a club that supports modellers and has a scheme where you can study and earn certificates to become a Model Railroad Master (MMR). The ‘Civil Certificate’ is one of these.
- Model Trains for Beginners (PDF): Explains the basics of scale, gauge, and important tools.
- Scottsdale Model Railroad Historical Society (PDF): The story of a railroad park in Arizona.
- Model Railroading (PDF): A guide from Ohio State University exploring Model Railways as a ‘Self-Determined Project”.
- Building Model Railroad Topography and Scenery With Foam Board (PDF): No further explanation needed!
- Standards and Recommended Practices for HO Modules (PDF): from Hostler’s Model Railroad club in Utah (US).
- Virtual Railroading (PDF): A presentation using virtual Model Railway Simulators as a planning tool for building a real Model Railway.
- O‑Scale Trains (PDF): This magazine targets O‑Scale Model Railways. The link is to the last edition of the magazine in (#55) in April 2011. All 55 editions appear to be available online so if you want to look at any others simply substitute the ‘55’ in the address bar (i.e. the URL) with another number in the range 1 — 54. 😉
- Using Computer Power Supplies on Model Railroads (PDF): Old PC power supplies are ubiquitous and cheap (often free!). This article explores using them to power your Model Railway.
- Foam Roadbed Construction (PDF): Using polystyrene foam as the foundation for the track bed.
- Designing Small Shelf Layouts (PDF): If you are space constrained, a small shelf layout may be the answer.
Model Railway (and 1:1 Scale!) Clubs and Societies
- Albany Model Railway Association — our good friends on the South coast
- Australian Model Railway Association WA Branch (Bayswater)
- Rail Heritage WA — aka ARHS(WA), Bassendean
- Bennett Brook Railway (Whiteman Park)
- Castledare Miniature Railway (Canning River Regional Park, Wilson)
- Edmonton Model Railroad Association — our sister club in Canada
- Hotham Valley Tourist Railway (Pinjarra and Dwellingup, south of Perth)
- Northern Districts Model Engineering Society (Balcatta)
- N Scale Modellers Australia — N Scale resources and general information
- Northern Suburbs Model Railway Group (N‑Gauge, Girrawheen)
- Perth Electric Tramway Society (Whiteman Park)
Model Railway Sales in and around Perth WA
- Ace RC Models (Midland)
- HobbyTech Toys (Myaree)
- MAS Hobbies (Westminster)
- Perth Hobby Centre (Osborne Park)
- Perth R/C Models (Perth)
Second Hand Sales and Service in WA
Maylands Model Railways
We buy & sell from one item to complete collections
209 Railway Parade, Maylands 6051
Phone/Fax: 08 9370 2105
Mobile: 0407 384 581